September 28, 2022 | Small Business Saturday Neighborhood Champions Application Opens Mid-October |
For 13 years, the Shop Small® movement has helped rally communities around the businesses they love. The Main Street America network has been a proud supporter since the beginning, starting with the launch of Small Business Saturday® in 2010. We are honored to once again team up with American Express to help rally communities to support their local businesses, culminating with Small Business Saturday on November 26, 2022. We hope you’ll join us to help make this year an even bigger success by serving as a 2022 Neighborhood Champion. Let's make this a record-breaking year for Main Street's participation in both celebrating and supporting small businesses!
As in past years, all Main Street America members have been pre-qualified to serve as Neighborhood Champions on a first-come, first served basis.
All you have to do is fill out a brief Neighborhood Champion application and indicate you were referred by the Main Street America network*.The application opens in mid-October and will remain open until mid-November, or until all the spaces are filled.
Complimentary merchandise kits will begin shipping towards the end of October, so we recommend signing up as early as possible to receive your kit with plenty of time to get prepared before Small Business Saturday on November 26th this year.
Mark your calendars and check back on our blog for the link and information to apply. You can also read more about the Neighborhood Champion program on the American Express website.Why do we encourage you to serve as a Neighborhood Champion?
• Neighborhood Champions receive exclusive resources to help promote Small Business Saturday and Shop Small, including marketing kits, merchandise, and more.
• Small Business Saturday is an event that links you and your community to a national Shop Small movement to support small business.
• The Shop Small movement supports your ongoing Main Street's Promotions-related activities, which will help position your downtown as the center of the community and hub of economic activity.
• You can apply for the Neighborhood Champion Innovation Contest and win a cash prize of up to $5,000! This year, our judging panel is looking for the most creative and innovative ways you engaged with younger, “next-generation” shoppers (think Millennial and Gen Z) in your community. (Contest details and rules from last year can be found here.
Keep an eye out for more information forthcoming later this year.) Keep this in mind when planning your promotions! Read about the 2021 winners on our blog.What do Neighborhood Champions do?
• Get access to complimentary materials and resources provided by American Express to help promote Small Business Saturday and the ongoing Shop Small movement on your Main Street. You’ll receive a Small Business Saturday Event Kit with Shop Small merchandise (including tote bags, posters, marketing kits, and other promotional items).
• Plan and host an event to celebrate the small businesses in your community. It could be a kick-off breakfast event, a welcome station, or even a Shop Small scavenger hunt.
• Engage with your local business owners and help them prepare for Small Business Saturday.
• Promote the event to your community and rally them to come out and Shop Small on the big day, Nov 26, and throughout the year!We want to hear from you!
If you’ve been a Small Business Saturday Neighborhood Champion in previous years, share your experience with us! Email us
your best Neighborhood Champion stories and ideas for a chance to be featured in upcoming promotions. About Small Business Saturday:
Small Business Saturday is a day dedicated to supporting small businesses and communities across the country. Founded by American Express in 2010, this day is celebrated each year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. This year it will take place on Saturday, November 26.*Eligibility restrictions apply. Review Neighborhood Champion Program for Small Business Saturday® and the Shop Small® Movement Terms of Participation for complete details.#Blogs#Announcement