June 1, 2022 | Pride Month on Main Street | By: Marta Olmos, Communications Coordinator at Main Street America |
June is Pride Month, a celebration of the stories, struggles, and successes of LGBTQ+ individuals and communities. Join us this month to amplify the impact of the LGBTQ+ people in your Main Street district. Our communities are shaped and defined by the unique contributions of our LGBTQ+ neighbors and partners, and this month is an opportunity to recognize those contributions, uplift their voices, and reinforce that our Main Streets are welcoming and inclusive for all. Not sure where to start? Hang some Pride Flags in your downtown! (Get them for free here)
To help you show your Pride, we have create social media graphics for you to download and share. We want to hear what your Main Street organization is doing in the coming weeks—your initiative might even be featured on our social channels! Tag us and use the social graphics to share your Pride with the rest of the network.
Looking for further inspiration? Why not try one of these ideas:
- Highlight local stories of LGBTQ+ history in your community.
- Amplify LGBTQ+-owned small businesses in your district.
- Add your pronouns to your email signature, Zoom name, social media, and other visible locations, and share the importance of pronoun transparency with your community.
- Partner with local LGBTQ+ organizations to amplify their work.
- Follow us on social media as we showcase additional ideas and replicable initiatives throughout the month.
- Follow nearby Main Street organizations on social media and reach out to them about collaborative regional events and partnerships.