March 19, 2019 | Seattle Welcomes You!The 2019 Main Street Now Conference is just days away. To get you ready, we compiled a list of need-to-know information including last-minute tips, registration details, where to eat, and how to use the MSN2019 app.
You’ve arrived! If you flew in to SeaTac Airport, the easiest and most cost-effective way of getting from the airport to downtown Seattle is via the Link Light Rail
. There is a well-signed station right there at the airport. You can buy your ticket at a kiosk before you go up the escalator to the platform. Take the light rail north (in the direction of University of Washington) and get off at Westlake Station, which is just a few blocks from the conference hotel. Your one-way trip from SeaTac to Westlake will cost about $3.00.
Many of the neighborhoods we mention in this article have light rail stops – Capitol Hill, Pioneer Square, Chinatown International District – making it a great way to explore Seattle once you get here. If you plan on using light rail more than a few times, you might want to purchase ($5) and load (whatever amount you like) an Orca Card
, which can be used to travel via light rail, bus, and even ferry.
We know many of you are arriving early or staying late. Below are recommendations for you on how to explore the Emerald City:
• Sunday Evening Itinerary
: Local recommendations on three districts to explore before the conference officially kicks off on Monday. Complete with details about how to get there, the best places to eat and drink, and unique experiences!
• Top 10 List for Soaking Up Seattle
: Includes ideas for how to get out on the water, cultural districts and attractions to explore, the best place to karaoke, and more!
• Seattle – a City of Neighborhoods
: Details about Georgetown, West Seattle, Chinatown-International District, and Central District – just a few of the unique districts we hope you’ll take the time to visit.
• Where to Eat
: We hope you come hungry! Seattle has a lot to offer on the culinary front –restaurants owned by globally-renowned chefs, some of the best seafood in the land, and quirky hole-in-the-wall eateries.
- We put together a Google map marking some of the best dining clusters within walking distance or at nearby light rail stops to help you out.
- Are you coming to the conference solo and want to meet up with some fellow attendees for lunch? We can help you with that, too! Find both the restaurant recommendations map and the lunch meet-up details on EventMobi.
• What to Pack:
We have our fingers crossed for sunshine (there is nothing better than Seattle on a sunny day!), but the reality of springtime in the Pacific Northwest leads us to suggest that you pack an umbrella or a rain coat. You’ll be in good company if you do have to brave a little rain – Seattleites are out and about no matter what! Be prepared with good walking shoes for tackling downtown Seattle’s hills will also help you get the most out of your time here.
Seattle’s brand-new Hyatt Regency located at 808 Howell Street. Overflow hotels are also available; for more information, click here
Head to the 7th floor of the Hyatt Regency to register and pick up your attendee packet. All attendees will receive an email with a QR code this Thursday, March 21. If you didn't get it or can’t access it, please check-in with your last name on-site. Click here to view a registration cheat-sheet with instructions. If you haven't registered yet, onsite rates are available for $675.
- Sunday, March 24 | 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 25 | 7:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 26 | 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 27 | 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
You’ll receive a printed program with your registration packet at check-in. Don’t want to wait? Use the MSN 2019 Mobile Event Guide
to find the most up-to-the minute conference information, to create and save your own schedule, submit session reviews, take notes, and play Game Street Now. To download the app, search for MSN2019
in the App Store or Google Play.
- Don’t forget! We’ll be providing a condensed printed program onsite this year that’s quick and easy to navigate. Full session details including descriptions and speakers will be available digitally on the Mobile Event Guide. If you’d like to have a printed copy of the detailed schedule with you in Seattle, please download a PDF version here >
- Game Street Now is back! Enter code WC19 for 50 points! If you’re not playing yet, check out the MSN 2019 Mobile Event Guide to learn more and compete for a FREE registration to the 2020 Main Street Now Conference.
• Opening Plenary
Kick off the conference in downtown Seattle’s beautiful Benaroya Hall. The Opening Plenary highlights include a welcome from Knute Berger
, a Seattle-based journalist, writer, and neighborhood history enthusiast; remarks from Patrice Frey, President and CEO of the National Main Street Center; and the presentation of the 2019 Great American Main Street Awards. The Opening Plenary takes place on Monday, March 25 from 2:30-4:00 p.m. and the Reception will follow from 4:00–5:15 p.m.
• General Sessions
You won’t want to miss the conference’s keynote speakers, who will be presenting at general sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. Tuesday features James and Deborah Fallows, authors of Our Towns: A 100,000-Mile Journey into the Heart of America
. On Wednesday, the general session features an expert panel discussion on entrepreneurship on Main Street. Both sessions run from 8:15-9:30 a.m. and take place at the Hyatt’s Columbia Ballroom C.
• Closing PlenaryJoin us for the final session of Main Street Now 2019 and help us bid a fond farewell to Seattle. The Closing Plenary, generously sponsored by American Express, will help you get in the Shop Small spirit as we get ready to celebrate Small Business Saturday’s 10th anniversary on November 30, 2019. We’ll honor three Main Street winners from the American Express Small Business Saturday Pitch Competition with a special cash prize to host a Neighborhood Champion event in their community on the big day.
Cap off your Main Street Now experience with a healthy dose of rejection therapy. Enjoy a keynote by author and entrepreneur Jia Jiang. In his presentation, Jiang will share stories from his rejection experiment to teach you the importance of becoming rejection-proof, the basic principles of turning a NO into YES, as well as how to get more Yes's. We’ll also be recognizing this year’s cohort of Main Street America Revitalization Professional credential recipients and, you won’t want to miss the grand announcement of the 2020 Main Street Now host city! The Closing Plenary takes place on Wednesday, March 27 from 3:45–5:00 p.m.
• Big Bash (SOLD OUT)
This year’s Big Bash, generously sponsored by OneMain Financial, will be an experience you won’t want to miss. Join us for a party at The Sanctuary and take in the sights of this beautiful setting, the country’s oldest beaux-arts style building and the oldest church in downtown Seattle. You’ll also have the opportunity to savor delicious food and drink from the Pacific Northwest, document memories with friends in a Main Street photobooth, participate in an interactive art experience, and dance to the grooves of local band, Copastetic
- Getting there: Buses will depart from the Hyatt Regency (8th Street Entrance) starting at 5:45 p.m. and will shuttle until 10:45 p.m.
Posting to social media? Join the conversation and use hashtags #NOW19 and #WeAreMainStreet to share your experience, connect with other attendees, view last-minute updates, and more.
- Did you miss the pre-conference webinar? Find the webinar recording here. View, review, and share!
- Want to add an event to your registration? See instructions on how to add a mobile workshop or ticketed events to your existing registration.
- Click here to view the Opening Plenary Seating Chart
We are truly looking forward to hosting you all in the beautiful Pacific Northwest this year! Get ready for a plentiful week of exploring and learning at the 2019 Main Street Now Conference. Safe travels to you all!
The 2019 Main Street Now Conference is brought to you by: